- Hockey Halloween Cheer Brought By The Canucks
- Canadians Take Home World Cup
- Oilers Debut Line Of McDavid, Eberle And Lucic
- Leafs Alumni Visit Birthplace Of Hockey
- Senators Release Concussion Statement On MacArthur
- Dallas Stars Say They Play Like Team North America
- Team Europe Heads To World Cup Final
- Russia Shutouts Finland 3-0
- Datsyuk Out With Lower-Body Injury
Top 5 Reasons For Signing Tomas Tatar
- Updated: August 22, 2014
The Detroit Red Wings signed left-winger Tomas Tatar to a three-year deal. The Red Wings originally drafted the 23-year-old in the 2009 NHL Draft, and he finished his first full NHL season in 2013-2014.
5. Represented at World Championships: He represented Slovakia in the World Championships three times. He appeared in the 2010, 2012, and 2014 World Championships, in addition to debuting at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi.
4. Anticipates defense: Tatar anticipates defense, which will be a useful skill for the team. He also takes risks when needed and should prove valuable in that aspect.
3. A Young Player: Tatar is a fairly young player, and even though that means he is a lot more inexperienced than other players, he will also have a significant amount of good years left. Ideally the Red Wings will be able to lean on him as a strong player during that time.
2. Goals Scored: He had 19 goals last season as well as three game-winning goals and three shoot-out goals. He also ranked first with 158 shots.
1. Good Ranks: In the last NHL season, Tatar ranked sixth on the team with a total of 39 points in 73 games. He also ranked among team leaders for shots and goals.
His skills will be helpful to the Red Wings, who made a wise choice in signing him for further time with the organization. He may be seeing more time on the ice depending on how things pan out next season.
Writer: Clairissa Baker is a student at Boston University working towards a dual degree in journalism and international relations, and she spends a lot of her spare time following hockey. Clairissa can be reached on Twitter @ClairissaBaker.