- Multiple Sclerosis: A Deal Breaker In Hockey?
- Hockey Halloween Cheer Brought By The Canucks
- Canadians Take Home World Cup
- Oilers Debut Line Of McDavid, Eberle And Lucic
- Leafs Alumni Visit Birthplace Of Hockey
- Senators Release Concussion Statement On MacArthur
- Dallas Stars Say They Play Like Team North America
- Team Europe Heads To World Cup Final
- Russia Shutouts Finland 3-0
Blue Jackets GM Kekalainen Back From IIHF
- Updated: May 17, 2016
Bob Mcelligott sat down with Columbus Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen upon his return from the IIHF World Championships this week taking in the performance of his players including captain Nick Foligno for the United States, and forward Boone Jenner and defenceman Ryan Murray who are representing Canada.
The Jackets strong presence in the World Championships is because the club failed to miss the playoffs for the 13th time in the 15 seasons since the clubs inception in 2000. The heavy representation in the tournament can be looked as a catch-22 because receiving the phone calls means that your team either didn’t make the Stanley Cup playoffs or was knocked out early. Kekalainen emphasis remains on player development which includes opportunities such as these.
“When you get a chance to go to the World Championships, it gives you a chance to keep playing, keep developing,” Kekalainen told Mcelligott. “It gives you a chance to win something and play some more meaningful games.”
For more of the interview between Mcelligott and Kekalainen watch below.